Pool Lifesaving Sport tests a lifesaver's skills in rescue, accident prevention and emergency care; teaching skills that will save lives and last a lifetime. Pool Lifesaving builds confidence, teaches teamwork, and is perfect for those who want to add an extra dimension to their swimming.
The events of Pool Lifesaving replicate common rescue techniques and include:
- Manikin Carry – Swim and dive to recover a submerged manikin and carry (rescue) back to the finish.
- Manikin Tow – Swim to manikin, affix rescue tube around manikin and tow manikin to finish.
- Line Throw – Throw an unweighted line to a person in the water at a specified distance and pull them to poolside. Time is limited.
- Obstacle Swim – Swim required distance of event (25m, 50m, 100m, or 200m) and under two obstacles positioned 12.5 metres from each end of the pool.
- Simulated Emergency Response Competition – A time-limited event where lifesavers are required to use their initiative, judgement, knowledge and abilities to rescue patients in a simulated emergency situation.