The course provides candidates with the essential competencies to teach the adult swimmer.
Candidates are required to have an AUSTSWIM Teacher of Swimming and Water SafetyTM accreditation. A reasonable level of fitness and swimming ability.
On successful completion of all course requirements candidates will receive the AUSTSWIM Teacher of AdultsTM accreditation and as a result be issued the AUSTSWIM Teacher of Adults Licence.
The course consists of theory and practical components:
Theory component – topics may be offered through classroom attendance or selected topics via AUSTSWIM’s e-learning centre.
Practical component – involves swimming activities that may be carried out in shallow or deep water
The course consists of approximately 14 contact hours (theory and practical), plus practical observation, supervised teaching hours and assessment. Topics include:
- Why teach adults to swim
- Understanding the nature of the adult swimmer
- Health, medical and safety issues
- Warm up, flexibility and stretching for the adult swimmer
- The different types of adult swimmer
To gain the accreditation, the following assessment components must be satisfactorily completed within 12 months of the course commencement date.
- Practical assessment.
- On-line theory assessment.
- Practical teaching hours including observation, supervised teaching and verification of teaching competency.
- Show evidence of holding a current cardio pulmonary resuscitation (CPR) award.
- Teacher Declaration (completed on-line with theory exam).
- Submit photo for AUSTSWIM Teacher LicenceTM.
Resources and Equipment
You will require writing material for note taking.
Casual clothing is recommended as some practical assessments may be required on certain courses. Swimming costumes, a towel and dry clothes for each day are required.
Lunch and morning tea are not supplied and you should make arrangements for those meals.
All other resources will be supplied on the day of the course.
This licence is valid for 3 years at which point the AUSTSWIM TeacherTM must renew their accreditation.