The course provides the candidate with the competence required to deliver safe and enjoyable aquatic activity programs for children between the age of six months to four years of age.
Candidates are required to have AUSTSWIM Teacher of Swimming and Water SafetyTM accreditation. A reasonable level of fitness and swimming ability.
On successful completion of all course requirements candidates will receive the AUSTSWIM Teacher of Infant and Preschool AquaticsTM accreditation..
Candidates will also be issued a Statement of Attainment for the following Unit of Competency from the Sport, Fitness and Recreation Training Package:
- SISCAQU011 – Promote development of infants and toddlers in an aquatic environment
The course consists of theory and practical components:
Theory component – topics may be offered through classroom attendance or selected topics via AUSTSWIM’s e-learning centre.
Practical component – involves swimming activities that may be carried out in shallow or deep water
The course consists of approximately 8 – 14 contact hours (theory and practical), plus supervised on the job teaching hours. Topics include:
- Philosophy of infant and preschool aquatics
- Early childhood development
- Teacher, parent and child relationships
- Health, hygiene and water safety
- Water familiarisation
- Aquatic skill development
- Plan, deliver and review a lesson
To gain the accreditation, the following assessment components must be satisfactorily completed within 12 months of the course commencement date.
- Practical demonstration of teaching skills, including the preparation of lesson plans.
- Continuous Aquatic Sequence.
- On-line theory assessment.
- Practical teaching hours including observation, supervised teaching and verification of teaching competency.
- Show evidence of holding a current cardio pulmonary resuscitation (CPR) award.
- Teacher Declaration (completed on-line with theory exam).
- Submit photo for AUSTSWIM Teacher LicenceTM.
Resources and Equipment
You will require writing material for note taking.
Casual clothing is recommended as some practical assessments may be required on certain courses. Swimming costumes, a towel and dry clothes for each day are required.
Lunch and morning tea are not supplied and you should make arrangements for those meals.
All other resources will be supplied on the day of the course.
This licence is valid for 3 years at which point the AUSTSWIM TeacherTM must renew their accreditation.