The AUSTSWIM Teacher of Swimming and Water SafetyTM course provides candidates with essential competencies to teach swimming and water safetyTM to persons from four years of age in swimming pools and confined natural shallow water venues.
Accreditation is valid for three years.
Candidates may enrol in an AUSTSWIM course at 16 years of age but are not eligible to receive the accreditation until they are 17 years of age. They are required to have a reasonable level of fitness and swimming ability.
On successful completion of all course requirements candidates will receive the AUSTSWIM Teacher of Swimming and Water SafetyTM accreditation and as a result be issued the AUSTSWIM Teacher Licence. This licence is valid for 3 years at which point the AUSTSWIM TeacherTM must renew their accreditation.
Candidates will also be issued a Statement of Attainment for the following Units of Competency from the Sport, Fitness and Recreation Training Package:
- SISCAQU008 Instruct water familiarisation, buoyancy and mobility skills
- SISCAQU009 Instruct clients in water safety and survival skills
- SISCAQU010 Instruct swimming strokes
- SISCAQU002 Perform basic water rescues
Theory component – topics may be offered through classroom attendance and selected topics topics via AUSTSWIM’s e-learning centre.
Practical component – involves swimming and water safety activities that may be carried out in shallow or deep water.
The course is approximately 16-20 contact hours (theory and practical), plus supervised on the job teaching hours and assessment. Topics include:
- Overview of AUSTSWIM and the aquatic industry
- Legal responsibilities for the AUSTSWIM TeacherTM
- How people learn
- Being an effective teacher
- Aquatic safety, survival and rescue skills
- Principle of movement in water
- Water familiarisation, buoyancy, mobility and safety
- Teaching safer diving skills
- Towards efficient stroke development
- Plan, deliver and review a lesson
To gain the AUSTSWIM accreditation, the following assessment components must be satisfactorily completed within 12 months of the course commencement date.
- On-line theory assessment (completed after attending a course).
- Continuous Aquatic Sequence.
- Practical demonstration of teaching skills, including the preparation of lesson plans.
- Demonstrate competence in water safety techniques. Candidates holding a current Bronze Medallion, Pool Lifeguard or equivalent award, may gain an exemption by providing a copy of the award.
- Practical teaching hours including observation, supervised teaching and verification of teaching competency.
- Show evidence of holding a current cardio pulmonary resuscitation (CPR) award.
- Teacher Declaration (completed on-line with theory exam).
- Submit photo for AUSTSWIM Teacher LicenceTM.
Resources and Equipment
You will require writing material for note taking.
Casual clothing is recommended as some practical assessments may be required on certain courses. Swimming costumes, a towel and dry clothes for each day are required.
Lunch and morning tea are not supplied and you should make arrangements for those meals.
All other resources will be supplied on the day of the course.
An AUSTSWIM AccreditationTM is valid for 3 years and needs to be renewed prior to the expiry date to remain current. Your expiry date can be found on your AUSTSWIM Teacher LicenceTM.